Spooling to a network printer

Bill Grzanich organix4 at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 24 16:05:42 GMT 2000

Hello, All.

I'm running Samba 2.0.7 on a VA Linux (RedHat 6.2, kernel 2.2.14) server,
and for the most part everything runs as expected.  However, when someone
prints something to a network printer that requires manual feed, all
subsequent printing to that printer "hangs" the Windows clients until the
manual feed job is complete.  Is this normal?  I would expect that other
print jobs would still spool to the server and allow the Windows clients to
continue, though they may not print until the manual feed job has been
completed.  The printer I'm testing is an HP LaserJet 5Si with a JetDirect
card and 8MB of memory.

While the manual feed job is pending, the result of lpq is:

linux02: waiting for 10.111.1.99 to come up
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
1st    bob        747  MicrosoftWord-Document4               273 bytes

connection to 10.111.1.99 is down

Once the job is complete, lpq shows:

JetDirect lpd: no entries

The Samba Printing.txt document suggests setting up a "raw" printer, but I
think that may only apply to printers directly attached to the server
parallel port.  Further, it suggests using "lpr -b -P...", but -b does not
appear to be a valid switch for the current version of RedHat's lpr.

The Windows98 clients are configured to spool print jobs in "RAW" format.

Any suggestions on how I might correct this behavior or troubleshoot
further?

The relevant portions of my smb.conf are below.

Thanks very much for any suggestions.

-Bill Grzanich

[global]
        workgroup = ORGANICS
        netbios name = LINUX02
        server string = Samba Server
        security = DOMAIN
        domain logons = No
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        password server = *
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        username map = /etc/smbusermap.conf
        domain master = No
        local master = No
        preferred master = No
        os level = 0
        announce as = NT Workstation
        announce version = 4.0
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY
        keepalive = 1800
        message command=/usr/bin/linpopup "%f" "%m" %s; rm %s
        guest account = smbuser
        create mask = 0777
        directory mask = 0777
        hosts allow = localhost, 10.111.1.0/255.255.255.0
        print command = lpr -r -P%p %s
        lpq command = lpq -P%p
        lprm command = lprm -P%p %j
        printer driver file = /home/samba/printer/printers.def
        map hidden = Yes
        map system = Yes
        map archive = Yes
[printer$]
        comment = Printer driver share
        path = /home/samba/printer
        public = Yes
        browseable = Yes
[Basketball]
        comment = HP5Si (Basketball)
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        public = Yes
        create mode = 0700
        printer driver=HP LaserJet 5Si PCL 5e
        printer driver location=\\%h\printer$\hplj5si