Fwd: [nylug-talk] plain text passwords for samba client

danny dwheeler at suffolk.lib.ny.us
Sat Oct 21 23:29:18 GMT 2000

Subject: [nylug-talk] plain text passwords for samba client
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 18:07:01 -0400
From: danny <dwheeler at suffolk.lib.ny.us>

I have successfully configured samba allowing all of my windows 95 and 98
machines user level access. It was necessary to add the following registry key;
HKLM\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\SERVICES\VXD\VNETSUP
""EnablePlainTextPassword"=dword:00000001".   This worked fine for most of my
machines but I have a couple of others I have windows me on and it does not
work for them. Besides using encrypted passwords is there a workaround for this?