A newbie : Help for installing SAMBA

Giulio Orsero giulioo at pobox.com
Fri Oct 13 10:18:30 GMT 2000

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000 11:10:34 +0200, you wrote:

>I saw the Sun on the network neighborrood on the NT station but I cannot
>access it although I put in the smb.conf the option guest ok = yes.
>My first question is :
>Does the users on the two machine have to be the same ?
Yes and no.
If you want to grant public access to a share, then define a share as
"guest ok = yes", and use
map to guest = bad user

Also, the password encryption problem might cause you some headaches.
Better to use
encrypt passwords = yes

>I can see the sun station on the NT station. How to do the contrary ? I want
>to see the NT on the sun machine.
>I trie the command line : mount -F smbfs .....: I had an error message.
"mount -t smbfs" is for linux only.

For sun you have 3 options:
1) ftp like interface -> smbclient (samba)
2) kind of virtual file system -> smbsh (smbwrapper. samba) configure
with "--with-smbwrapper"
3) mounting -> sharity: free (sharity light) and commercial version look
on the web.

giulioo at pobox.com