Read-only and shares

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net
Thu Oct 12 23:31:17 GMT 2000

Bill,

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000 10:51:52 -0500, Bill Grzanich wrote:

>[...] So, I add this to the share:
>
>        force user = cmplianc
>
>and create a "user" called "cmplianc".  Now it works, but at the
>expense of the actual user name as Linux owner of the file.  Everyone
>in the group becomes user "cmplianc" for that share.  I can live with
>that, but is there a way to preserve the Linux user name as owner and
>still provide the groups sharing of files AND allow the DOS/Windows
>attributes to be honored?

Loud and clear: No.

"force user = x" means Samba will act as x. Point.

>Also, I've been asked to provide similar functionality to the Public
>share; that is, allow users to set the read-only attributes on some
>of the files in the Public share.  I've tried a similar approach:
>create a dummy Linux user called "public" and added "force user =
>public" to the [public] share, but it doesn't seem to work here.

>[public]
>        comment = Public
>        path = /home/public
>        writeable = Yes
>        guest ok = Yes
>        force user = public
>[cmplianc]
>        comment = Compliance share
>        path=/home/groups/cmplianc
>        valid users = @cmplianc, @it
>        public = No
>        writable = Yes
>        printable = No
>        force user = cmplianc

I cannot explain the latter issue, but look at the differences:
[public} has "guest ok = yes", [cmplianc] has "public = no" (synonym
to "guest ok"). I'm not quite sure as whom Samba will act with "guest
ok = yes" but you might try to set "guest ok = no" on [public] and
make sure every file is owned by user public.

Regards,
        Robert

Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net           Fax +49-69-432647

Sent using PMMail (http://www.pmmail2000.com) - fast, decent, email
software; far better than Outlook. Try it sometime.