Can't create 'New Folder(N)' on smbmounted NT shares

Martin Munt Martin.Munt at Halliburton.com
Wed Oct 11 09:54:02 GMT 2000

Hi,

Has anyone on the list ever had problems creating new directories
(aka folders) on NT shares via Samba and smbmount? When a
Win95 client tries to create a new folder with Explorer, he gets
the error:

	"Unable to create the folder 'New folder (N)'
	Cannot create a file when that file already exists."

where N is '1' the first time, '2' the second, etc...

The folders _are_ actually being created - just ahead of the error
message. They are not immediately visible, but are so after
a "refresh".

We have a Redhat 6.0 (kernel 2.2.5-15**) x86 Linux box running
Samba 2.0.7.

We 'smbmount' the NT 4.0 shares onto the Linux box
and then share them (with Samba) to Win95 clients who have
Linux accounts. The Win95 clients cannot otherwise access the
NT machines because of our network layout.

A typical output from 'mount' for these shares would be:

  //Dick/Common on /mnt/DICK/Common type smbfs (0)
  //Dick/msdn on /mnt/DICK/msdn type smbfs (0)
  //mirror/Mince on /mnt/mince type smbfs (0)

'Dick' and 'mirror' are the NT boxes and users have symbolic links in
their home directories to the shares. User 'bblqq63' would see the
following if he did 'cd ~' and ' ls -l':

lrwxrwxrwx   1 bblqq63  staff   14 May 31 16:52 msdn -> /mnt/DICK/msdn

We have no problems with Explorer creating 'folders' in the Linux
home directory, or other Samba shares on the Linux box itself.

We can usually get over this problem by just cancelling the error
message and then renaming 'New folder(N)' to something meaningful,
but it is an unremitting pain in the a**e (British spelling applies).

I don't remember this behaviour with Samba 2.0.5, but I can't be sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Great list - keep up the good work.

Regards
Martin Munt

Draugen Project, SubSea Offshore Limited
Rockwater Building, Stoneywood Park, Dyce, Aberdeen, AB21 7DZ
Tel: +44 1224 795433  Fax: +44 1224 795582
mailto:Martin.Munt at Halliburton.com

PS **Yes, I do know - from the list, of course - that 2.2.5-15 is not good
at holding onto NT smbmounts. When we get time we'll compile
and patch .....