Samba and lpstat...

Tristan Ball tristanb at vsl.com.au
Tue Nov 21 02:15:52 GMT 2000

This is not strictly a samba problem however there may be a samba fix
:-)

I'm running samba 2.0.7 on a Sun E450, Solaris 2.7. I'm using the basic
solaris print system, talking lpd to some remote printers (in this
particular case, and Lexmark, a HP, and an Epson). Due to some network
issues, all three printers fell of the edge of the world temporarily.

Unfortunately this means that the solaris lpstat command would block for
up to a minute, as it retried it's communications with the unavailable
printers.

Interestingly, at the same time, several NT boxen which use those
printers would also hang for 20-30seconds occasionally, then return to
normal.

It looks to me like NT blocked on a SMB call to samba, which was waiting
on lpstat.

Anyone know of a fix?

Thanks.
--