Safest way to mount NT Server share

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at matchmail.com
Fri Nov 17 02:37:18 GMT 2000

Bill Parker wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>         I run a Linux box with caldera Openlinux 2.3, 2.2.17 kernel (SMP),
> and I have a very serious problem getting samba to work properly (despite
> the fact I have it working just fine on a plain pent-133, and on that
> machine it shows up in network neighborhood, and I can double click on
> it, drag and drop files, etc).
>
>         However, we are in the process of converting our application from
> NT to linux, but I MUST have access to a NT Server share to make this
> work (as it reads data from it), but when I have used smbmount with a
> destination IP, it will let me mount the drive, BUT, after a while, I
> get a smbfs-retry (error: -3) code, and I lose communication with the

Why are you using an IP address?  If everything is setup correctly you shouldn't
need it with the 2.2.xx kernel smbmount tools.

In this case, linux is just acting as a proxy for NT, this isn't really showing
linux standing on it's own.  If that is what you want, you should have a test
computer setup with the files on the hard drive of the linux computer.

Is this the only thing that the NT server is doing, serving these files?  If so,
you can have the linux computer take over the computer name of the NT server,
and shut down the NT comp.  You can even have it use a guest user while you are
creating users on linux and setting their groups.

Did you know that with smbmount, you are acting as ONE user from NT Server's
perspective?  Whatever user you choose should be able to access all of the files
with whatever the highest privilege ANY user will need from linux.  You will
then have to make the same restrictions on linux, which will now be much harder
now that you are acting as one user/group pair for the smbmounted drive.

If you are forced to specify an ip address, I suspect something is wrong.

HTH