postexec and preexec

Gareth Williams gareth at cclc.force9.co.uk
Wed Nov 8 14:28:27 GMT 2000

Hello all.

I have recently upgraded my network to include demand dialling
(PPP). I use ipchains as firewalling, and to control internet access.

To do this, I have got samba to execute an "ipchains" command
when people connect to and disconnect from a madatory service.
(It grants the machine internet access if the username matches a
list when a share is connected to, and denies on share
disconnection).  All is fine, except that if their computer (the client)
dies on them, the "postexec" command never gets executed - even
when Samba detects the machine has timed out.

Two things:  First the Postexec /Root Postexec command doesn't
always appear to execute when a share is disconnected from - if it
was a timeout that disconnected the share.  (I would be happy to
try + fix this, but I don't know where to start looking in the code.
Any suggestions?)

Second, is there some sort of "Domain Logon Exec" and "Domain
Logoff Exec" option that would be more apt to this particular
example?

Cheers,

Gee.

Gareth Williams