Can't see my Samba/Linux server on Win95 browser

Huang, Deane [JJCUS] DHuang at CORUS.JNJ.com
Fri May 26 18:44:39 GMT 2000

Hello,

I am new on Samba and need to set up Samba server on a Linux server for
Windows 95 clients. I installed Samba from RedHat Linux 6.1 CD. My smb.conf
has

Workgroup = MYGROUP
Server String = Samba Server

Encrypt passwords = yes
Smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd

After this configuration, I can map drive from Win95 machine using NET USE
command. But, I can not see my linux server (or Samba server) from Network
Neighborhood or using NET VIEW command. I have a fresh installation of
Windows95b. Linux server and Win95 machine has fix IP address in same
subnet. Win95 machine has Workgroup = MYGROUP. Did I miss any configuration?
Should Samba/Linux server show up on Win95 browser or not by design?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Deane Huang
Dhuang at corus.jnj.com <mailto:Dhuang at corus.jnj.com>