Next stable version of Samba.

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Wed May 17 20:37:51 GMT 2000

Yo Jeremy!

On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 07:30:07AM +1000, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> Hi all,

>         I'd like to ask to make a version number change
> for the next stable release. Currently we're planning to
> release something we're planning to call 2.0.8.

	[...]

> But I'd like to call it 2.2.0 instead. That way people
> know this is a more significant change, and will hopefully
> do more testing before slotting this into a production
> system.

	This makes sense to me, but I have a question.  Why
2.2 and not 2.1?  Are we now going to embark on the odd/even
convention of the Linux kernel (odd minor is development,
evem minor is release).  If so, I have to say that I'm all
for it.  I just want to know if that's officially the
road we are about to walk down.

> Currently I have buy off from the rest of the Samba Team
> on this version change, what does everyone else think ?

	My vote says do it.

> Regards,

> 	Jeremy Allison,
> 	Samba Team.

> --
> Buying an operating system without source is like buying
> a self-assembly Space Shuttle with no instructions.

	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 331-2437   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/