SAMBA digest 2519

Donald E. Hammond dhammond at nac.net
Fri May 12 18:13:41 GMT 2000

Tiago -

I'm far from an expert, and while I'm more than willing to try and help,
this is cc:'ed to the samba list again, for both of our sakes.

I may be missing something, but let's give this a try...

> That works, but the owner of xunil machine, has SuSE 6.3 and has samba
> like mine!
> He can do ping allegro (mine) without that thing in /etc/hosts

Are allegro and xunil both Linux hosts on the same network?  I assumed
they were when I advised the entry in /etc/hosts.  (Although the entries
in /etc/hosts don't have to be on your network.)

> I've verified my /etc/host.conf  and there is
>  order hosts bin        there

All that says is look in etc/hosts first to resolve a hostname, and if
there isn't an entry for that hostname, use your name server.  (I assume
that's a typo above and the entry says "order hosts bind".  Note: the
trailing "d".)  The name server(s) should be listed in /etc/resolv.conf.

> So, if he can connect to me without the ip numbers at /etc/hosts, why
> can't I do the same!

Because his setup is resolving allegro to an IP number and your machine
is reachable from his, while the opposite is not true.  Again, the
inability of one host to ping another indicates a network config problem
unrelated to samba.  Either there is no name resolution and/or there is
no network route from your machine to his.  Your earlier message said
you could ping by IP number but not hostname,  and that the error was
"ping: unknown host: xunil", so it appears to be a name resolution
problem, not routing.

> That's because this doesn't happen when i try to ping him, it happens
> with all other computers in the net! Like this I must insert all ip's
> and hostnames of the network on that file ! He doesn't have that....

No, obviously you don't have to maintain an etc/hosts file with every
machine on the net.  But for every machine you need to reach that's not
listed in that file, you have to be able to resolve the name and also
have a network route to it.  If xunil is resolving allegro without an
entry in /etc/hosts, it's doing it with a dns lookup (bind).

> Isn't that related with nmb

> when I had RedHat, when I started smb services, automatically nmb
> started...
> Now , only starts smb
> (like in :
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start      )<-- when I wrote this in RedHat, it
> automatically loaded nmb, but now, only starts smb
> or this doesn't have nothing to do ?

It doesn't have anything to do with you being able to ping each other.
Even though I don't think it has anything to do with your problem, I'm
going to take a guess at answering this.  If you look at the
/sbin/init.d/smb script on your SuSE system, I'll bet it just doesn't
print the message for nmbd being started.  But it is being started.  Try
'ps |grep nmbd' and I'll bet it's there.

> Thank you for the attention

Maybe someone else will have some other ideas, but until you can ping
xunil, samba won't get you anywhere.