*SMBSERVER name query to Samba server

Luciano Chavez chavez at us.ibm.com
Mon May 1 22:01:42 GMT 2000

Hello, I am working on developing yet another pam module
that uses the SMB dialect for authenticating user id/passwords
with an SMB server (OS/2 Warp Server, NT, Samba, AIX, etc.).
The code is essentially built on top of portions of Samba 2.0.6 release
code.

The code uses the get_dc_list() routine (source/libsmb/namequery.c)
introduced in 2.0.6. to allow the client to discover the DC to
authenticate with. The current code works fine with an NT server
and OS/2 Warp Server for e-business server running the Browser
service. The client gets a positive response for a query for DOMAIN
name with 0x1C name type and then the client does a node/adapter
status to determine the server name. The node status uses the
*SMBSERVER as the target name. Again, this works to an NT
and OS/2 server.

When I try the operation to a Samba server, the DOMAIN 0x1C
name query gets a positive response though the node status
using the *SMBSERVER target name times out. I searched through
nmbd source to see if it listens for the special name but could not find
it.
Does someone know if this should work or if TNG is the branch
that supports this? I'll continue debugging in the meantime.

regards,
Luciano Chavez