Problem starting SMB services

Giulio Orsero giulioo at pobox.com
Tue Mar 28 17:43:43 GMT 2000

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000 22:07:30 +1000, hai scritto:

>This is the error I receive when attempting to start the service.  This is
>from /var/log/messages.
>
>Mar 27 11:41:17 portero smb: smbd startup succeeded
>Mar 27 11:41:17 portero smb: nmbd startup failed
>Mar 27 11:41:18 portero srvsvcd: execvp: No such file or directory
>Mar 27 11:41:18 portero smb: srvsvcd startup failed

>Is there some problem with my smb.conf file?  I need to try to get this
>working very soon.  I have tried different smb.conf files, to no avail.

If you don't know what srvsvcd (and other daemons) is, then you'd better
use the the stable release of samba (2.0.5 or 2.0.6).
What you are using is a developer version.

You don't say what os you are on, from the log it appears to be a linux
box, so look in the linux cdrom for the samba packages.

Or maybe you just replaced the standard /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb script with
a new one? If so, then get the old one asap.

giulioo at pobox.com