password problem -- or bug?

Carsten Nordstrøm Jensen north at get2net.dk
Tue Mar 28 14:02:10 GMT 2000

A Redhat 6.0 linux server with Samba 2.0.6, Windows 95/98 clients.

By accident I just discovered a surprising and quite disappointing
password problem on our Samba network.

If a user on our network has a non-empty Windows password,
he is forced to supply his password to log in to the network and
gain writing privilegies -- as expected.
However, if the user has an empty Windows password, he is
able to log in to the nework and gain writing privilegies to the
shares at the linux-server without ever supplying any password.
This is both on his own profile share and for the common shares
on the server.

How can that be? In our "friendly" network it is not a major problem.
It still is undesirable though. Is it a Samba bug?

Best regards,

- Carsten