Connecting arbitrary Windows NT users to SUN/Solaris 2.6.

Stephan Schoonees Stephan at mas.co.za
Tue Mar 7 08:14:58 GMT 2000

I have recently installed BS-Samba version 2.0.0
onto our Ultra-5 SUN/Solaris 2.6 workstation
into the /usr/local/samba directory.
I took the example of the smb.conf file and
placed it in /usr/local/samba/lib/
and made the following changes:

[globals]
	map to guest = Bad User
	security = share

I commented out the homes section
and added the following:

[%U]
	comment = Specify UNIX user home
	path = /export/home/%U
	read only = yes
	printable = no

What I am attempting to do is connect
+- 200 Windows NT users to totally
different +- 5 UNIX users.
I am not interested in synchronizing any of
them and would like the NT user to specify
the UNIX user and password to connect and
then let Samba grant read only access to
the specific UNIX user's home directory.
Obviously the password validation is thus
the standard UNIX password validation using
the /etc/passwd file as usual.

What I am hoping is that the [%U] above
will create a service as specified by the
"Connect As" box of Windows NT explorer.
The Windows machine name and user should
thus be ignored totally.

By coincidence this works great with one
Windows NT machine that has the same
UNIX user name but gives authorization
problems when a NT machine tries to connect
as one of the UNIX users.
The Samba log file complains about a missing
colon (no :) in the /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
file. But I would like to use the standard
UNIX password file.

I'm doing something wrong.
If someone has tried to do something similar
then any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Stephan Schoonees

Momentum Administration Services