SAMBA_2_0 (recent CVS): smbpasswd and utmp errors

David Lee T.D.Lee at durham.ac.uk
Thu Mar 2 22:00:32 GMT 2000

Re:

> Date:   Wed, 01 Mar 2000 11:09:50 -0800
> From:   Jeremy Allison <jeremy at valinux.com>
> To:     giulioo at pobox.com
> Subject: Re: SAMBA_2_0 (recent CVS): smbpasswd and utmp errors
>
> Orsero wrote:
> >
> > SAMBA_2_0 as of 1 mar 2000, 11:00 GMT
> > rh61 kernel-2.2.14.
> >
> > [...]
> > 2) ./configure --with-utmp:
> > make all
> > ..
> > Compiling smbd/connection.c
> > smbd/connection.c: In function `utmp_update':
> > smbd/connection.c:349: structure has no member named `ut_syslen'
> > make: *** [smbd/connection.o] Error 1
>
> Thanks Giulio , I'm on it.
>
> Jeremy.

As the person who began the utmp/utmpx functionality, I'm curious to know
a little more detail about this problem.  It suggests an OS that supports
the utmpx format (as well as the earlier and ubiquitous UNIX format utmp),
but whose utmpx fails to include a "ut_syslen" member.

When I drafted it, the utmpx-enabled OSes to which I had access were
Solaris 2.x and IRIX 6.x (admittedly a small sample size of 2), both of
which had "ut_syslen". It sounds as though yours doesn't, posing an
interesting build-time detection-problem.

Perhaps you could send me the "utmp.h" and "utmpx.h" files from your
system.

Two related points for those preparing 2.0.7 for release:

1. Have you corrected the trivial declaration/definition discrepancy
   of "utmp_yield()" that crept into the pre-2.0.7 release?  (Reported
   by a few poeple on this list.)

2. Have you examined the subsequent patch (on samba-technical) that, if
   "utmp directory" is not specified, tries to ensure that the default
   directory (i.e not "/") is used for utmp-like files?

:  http://www.dur.ac.uk/~dcl0tdl            South Road            :