Log analysis tools

Keith G. Murphy keithmur at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 28 17:51:01 GMT 2000

Peter Polkinghorne wrote:

> Yes - I have a simple perl script that uses smbstatus - works with 2.0.6.
> We have a chron script on each server that runs samba-snap.pl every 10 minutes
> which gives useful trend info.
>
> Here are some small Samba utilities that I have writen and hope you
> will find useful.  Currently work with Samba 1.9.18p10 under Solaris 2.5.1
> The utilties are all writen in fairly vanilla Perl5 - we use 5.004_01.
>
> Any customisation is clearly labelled - just modify the source.
>
> Feedback welcome.  The programs are all GPLed and versioned.

That looks quite slick.

Two questions:

(1) Have you looked at SyslogScan::SyslogEntry.pm?  Does some of the
work for you.  Most useful if you scan different kinds of logs and would
like to use the same interface.

(2) How do you get the connections logged by syslog?  I've tried various
combinations of 'syslog level' and 'syslog only' and can't seem to pull
it off.