Backing up Win32 Clients over a network

Chuck Siu chucks at mccue.com
Thu Jul 20 01:05:44 GMT 2000

I am trying to create a network wide backup scheme using Samba for a
network of about 60 Win32 clients in our LAN.  I was wondering if it is
possible to use smbclient to automatically search the entire network for
shares with a common prefix naming convention and using a wildcard such as
backup_*, automatically mount the shares, and use smbtar for backup
purposes?  Has anyone done this before?  .

Chuck Siu

Do not believe that it is very much of an advance to do the unnecessary
three times as fast. -Peter Drucker (1909-)