Samba + WAN?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Fri Jul 7 10:56:20 GMT 2000

Try looking into how the windows machines are dooing the lookup for the
server's name.  Windows machines can be in one of the following modes:
	Broadcast - Must be on the same IP broadcast network
	Mixed - Broadcast then use specified WINS servers
	WINS only - (incorrect name but however) uses only the WINS servers
	Hybrid - use the wins server first, then broadcast

If the windows machines are in mixed mode, then they will see the remote
machine, but only after wasting time broadcasting on the local subnet.

Could this be the cause of the issue?

These options are best set (in my experience) by changing the setting
via DHCP for the windows machines.

--
Andrew Bartlett
abartlet at pcug.org.au