AIX questions

Graham Cameron graham.cameron at cognesis.com
Fri Jul 7 13:46:45 GMT 2000

I have a couple of questions re samba.
I am running on AIX, but I believe both questions may be generic.

1. The O'Reilly book refers to smbsh but it's not on the AIX distribution.
   Is smbsh in the same category as smbmount, which the documentation
   suggests is linux only and in any case unsupported? If so, more's the
   pity.

2. I'm using smbtar to back up my NT server to unix using "-t -" to cause
   output to go to stdout, so I can pipe it directly into gzip.
   It would be nice to use "-v" to capture a log of what is going on, but
   this causes some output to go to stdout, where it screws up the stuff
   being piped. Some, but not all, log info goes to stderr, it would be
   nice if it all did (like tar does, in fact).

Thanks in advance.

Graham Cameron
Systems Manager