SAMBA eats up all memory...

Sumitro Chowdhury smc_adsm at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 7 04:55:43 GMT 2000

Hi Bill,
Thanks for your patience...
[A]
My "svmon" and corrosponding "vmstat" output:

neptune02.amerch.com:/ > svmon

               size      inuse       free        pin    virtual
memory      2097113     653391        128     101441     263249
pg space     393216       1241

               work       pers       clnt
pin          101579          0          0
in use     -1141755    1795146          0

neptune02.amerch.com:/ > vmstat 5
kthr     memory             page              faults        cpu
----- ----------- ------------------------ ------------ -----------
r  b   avm   fre  re  pi  po  fr   sr  cy  in   sy  cs us sy id wa
0  0 263257   137   0   0   0  30   55   0 181  383 130  8  2 88  2
1  2 263257   128   0   0   0 516  971   0 727 1098 316 17  1 77  5

Bit confused on the mathematics :(
a)free memory certainly matches between svmon and vmstat (128 frames)
b) avm matches virtual , so far so good.
c) what does -ve  (-1141755    ) mean? Although pers-work=inuse
                                       (1795146-1141755=653391) !!
d) If pers is what is used up in caching files,work in process and
    fre is free memory, pers+work+fre should be = memory size
    but in my svmon, it is not so.
e) Could you kindly explain my svmon output?
f) which is stale memory?

[B]
No. of processes is around 150 (ps -ef|wc -l)

maxuproc is 500

ulimit -a:
time(seconds)        unlimited
file(blocks)         2097151
data(kbytes)         131072
stack(kbytes)        32768
memory(kbytes)       1048576
coredump(blocks)     2097151
nofiles(descriptors) 2000

smbd(s) are running as root and are spawned by inetd.

Please let me know what else to try...

Thanks as always,

Sumitro Chowdhury