setting samba when you are a dhcp client

Evan Panagiotopoulos evanp at technologist.com
Thu Jan 20 22:09:28 GMT 2000

Last year I used samba as my Linux file server and my students and I were very happy with it. Now "they" have connected the lab to the district's WAN and they haven't provided us with a file server. I install Red
Hat Linux 5.2 with dual boot on a computer just to see if it can be done and I don't have a lot of success with it.
When Linux boots up and it starts the smb and nmb processes it waits there for a very long time. I read the address it is given and I can ping it from a computer but the  same computer when I click on Network
Neighborhood I get an error message that a network doesn't exist, or something close to that.
Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for your time,

Evan Panagiotopoulos
Valley Central High School