Problems logging in

Henning Sprang sprang at kmf.de
Sat Jan 15 22:34:29 GMT 2000

Hello People,
I am experiencing some weird Problems using samba on a linux server that is
supposed to connect the windows an Macintosh world in our production team.
So far everything works fine - i've set up a directory called "comon" that
is accessible from almost every Windwos workstation and almost every user.
The problem is "almost". There is actually one user, that is unable to
connect to the given directory on the samba server. This directory is
common and accessible to every user - when i log in as "gast" or any other
name on any of the windows machines and chose the samba server in network
neighborhood, i directly see the "common" directory, without any problems,
and without beeing asked for any password. But then when i try to log in on
the windows machine as user "sven", i cannot get to the "common" directory
on the samba server - when i chose the samba server in network
neighborhood, i directly get asked for a "password
for  //sambaserver/IPC$"  - which i don't have, and anything i type in is
wrong. None of the other users which i have no problems with has an account
on the Linux machine - and all of them work on the same machines where it
doesn't work with the "sven" account.
What am i doing wrong?

Heres my samba config, in case that could help (i took out the ip-adresses):

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from
# Date: 2000/01/09 20:06:41
# Global parameters
[global]
interfaces =
map to guest = Bad User
keepalive = 30
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
os level = 2
local master = No
guest account = common
[homes]
comment = Heimatverzeichnis
read only = No
create mask = 0750
browseable = No
[common]
comment = common
path = /var/www/common
read only = No
create mask = 0750
guest only = Yes
guest ok = Yes
veto files = /.AppleDouble/.bin/.AppleDesktop/Network Trash Folder/

Henning Sprang
KMF Werbung GmbH
Grosse Elbstraße 279
D-22767 Hamburg
Tel.: +49-40-39105-0
Fax: +49-40-39105-100
sprang at kmf.de

Internet und e-mail sind grundsätzlich zuverlässig und vielen anderen
Kommunikationsformen weit überlegen. KMF steht auch hier für sorgfältigen
Umgang mit Informationen nach dem jeweils aktuellen Stand der Technik.
Bedenken Sie aber, daß Leitungswege und Provider weder in Ihrem, noch im
Einflußbereich von KMF stehen. KMF kann daher eine Haftung für die
Verbindlichkeit von Inhalten, den Schutz vor weiterer Übertragung und
ungewolltem Empfang, sowie Schäden durch Speicherung und Verwendung von
Informationen nicht übernehmen.