Performance issues with Samba 2.0.6 on FreeBSD

Richard Furda rfurda at best.ca
Sun Feb 13 06:34:33 GMT 2000

	Hello,

I have been experimenting with Samba's performance and I have found
out few things. First of all, my samba server is FreeBSD 4.0-current
running Samba 2.0.6. When performing tests, I'd transfer 700mb binary files
from my samba share to a windows machine and back. Relevant performance
tweaks in my smb.conf are as follows:

socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
read raw = yes
write raw = no
max xmit = 65536
read size = 16384
oplocks = false
level2 oplocks = true
read prediction = True
locking = true

When setting "red raw" to "NO" I would be able to download (BSD->Windows)
a 700mb file in 3minutes, 30seconds. Upload would take 6minutes!
Setting "read raw" to "YES" would give fast write access (Windows->BSD)
uploads around 3minutes, 40seconds, while reads would be extremely slow
(7-8minutes!).
I have tried disabling oplocks/level2, turning off/on read prediction, setting
write raw to "YES" and without any luck I cannot get the same read/write access
from my Samba share.
I believe this is a problem on the Samba end, as I have also tried
transferring same file via
ftp and down/upload was around 220seconds which sounds about right.

Any suggestions, comments would be greatly appreciated.

	Richard

-----
Richard Furda
PGP public key:    http://www.best.ca/rfurda.pkr