Errors from remote_password_change()

John Mechalas johnm at ichips.intel.com
Thu Feb 10 22:21:43 GMT 2000

Greetings,

This may be a bit skewed from the normal discussion here.

I am attempting to use the remote_password_change() function from
passchange.o (a libsmb.a sure would be a nice addition to the samba
distribution...) in a standalone application.  I note that, when called out
of smbpasswd, I can change a password on a remote NT server just fine.
When run from a standalone app, however, the password change always fails
with this error:

   machine <hostname> rejected the session setup. Error was : Called name not present

It sounds like the remote server is not able to find my via NetBIOS, so it
seemed ogical that nmbd would need to be running.  However, firing up an
nmbd daemon did not help.

Am I missing something obvious here?  Could it be that my nmbd is not
configured properly?  Do I also need smbd (I don't see why I would, but
I've been wrong before)? Should I just give up and try something else?
WHat I need to do is integrate NT password changing into a UNIX app, so
other suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,
John

--
John Mechalas                    \               carpe cavy!
Intel PMD Engineering Computing   \