samba and nt logon scripts for win9x - running a program

John Ryan jryan at kgv.edu.hk
Thu Feb 3 00:24:10 GMT 2000

Not really a samba question, however
> Howdy folks, been playing with win9x domain logon scripts to ease my admin
> tasks with a few clients and having trouble with one item.  Basically what I
> want to have happen is each monday at first logon, the script would run the
> latest antivirus definition updater, the user would click yes to run it once
> the dialogue popped up and be done in 15-30secs or so.
Here's how I do it:
Download the definitions file and rename it Newdef.exe
In the logon script I do:
IF NOT EXIST C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\VIRUSD~1\20000124.001\ZDONE.DAT
\
G:\NORTON\NEWDEF.EXE /Q

Put the above command all on one line.  The /Q is the parameter you're
looking for (means quiet).  My users never know it's happenning.
The only thing you'll have to change is the 20000124.001
> v:\????i32.exe or v:\*i32.exe it doesn't work. Any ideas on how to get around
You can't use wildcards for a command. rename it to newdef.exe
> this?  Basically I have a cron job setup to download the latest update file

How do you do that?  I have to do it manually, because inside Norton's
virus definition directory are several files and the name changes with the
date they create them.  Let me know please.

> each saturday and dump it in the netlogon share (for testing purposes now,
> I'll eventually setup a dedicated share for updates at logon).
>
> Also does anyone know any way to use the update file without user
> intervention? I checked it by running "0124i32.exe /?" from the command line
> and there aren't any switches it mentions for running in non-interactive
> mode.
>
> Harondel J. Sibble
> Sibble Computer Consulting
> Creating solutions for the small business and home computer user.
> help at pdscc.com (pgp enabled)    http://www.pdscc.com
> (604) 739-3709 (voice/fax)      (604) 686-2253 (pager)

John Ryan
Systems Manager
KGV School
Hong Kong