WinMe - It can't be this hard?!?

Joe Nelson nelsonj at inconnect.com
Sun Dec 31 01:33:46 GMT 2000

I've got samba up and running on my RedHat Linux 7 box and two Windows ME
machines that need access to the Linux machine. I'm assuming it should be
simple, but I'm still having, yes you guessed it, password problems.  I read
Win95.txt and made the registry changes on my Win ME machines, that didn't
work. So then I read encription.txt and did what it said, again, no luck. I
must be doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what it is! What I'd really
like to have is password encryption, but if I can't I'll settle for plain
passwords, I just want access!  This is what I have in my smb.conf, does
anyone see problems with this?

[global]
workgroup = main
server string = nitewaryr
hosts allow = 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.2 192.168.0.3 127.
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 50
guest account = guest
encrypt passwords = yes