Setting up virtual samba servers

MEwing at berkleyis.com MEwing at berkleyis.com
Mon Dec 18 18:01:09 GMT 2000

Robert,

Thank you for the pointer on using "include =" rather than "config file ="
in setting up the virtual
samba servers.     I made this change and the client systems are now able
to connect to the
specified virtual servers.

I am now running into a different problem.   This one involves changing the
user's passwords
on the virtual server that is configured to use the local password file for
authentication.

My first attempt to change the password was through the "SWAT" interface.
The following
message was returned and displayed on the interface window.

       machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the tconX on the IPC$ share. Error was :
code 0.

       The passwd for 'mae' has NOT been changed.

My next attempt used the "smbpasswd" command with debug mode turned up to
"3".   From this
session, it appears that the virtual server name is not being recognized.

     /opt/samba/bin>./smbpasswd
     doing parameter log file = /opt/samba/log/log.%M
     doing parameter share modes = yes
     doing parameter getwd cache = yes
     doing parameter local master = no
     doing parameter domain master = no
     doing parameter preferred master = no
     doing parameter os level = 0
     doing parameter wins support = no
     doing parameter wins server = 192.168.1.185
     doing parameter wins proxy = no
     doing parameter announce as = NT
     doing parameter name resolve order = lmhosts wins
     doing parameter revalidate = False
     doing parameter encrypt passwords = yes
     doing parameter password level = 6
     doing parameter include = /opt/samba/lib/%L.conf
     Can't find include file /opt/samba/lib/.conf
     doing parameter hosts allow = 192.168. 127.0.0.1
     doing parameter invalid users = bin daemon sys adm uucp lp hpdb nuucp
www
     doing parameter dont descend =
/stand,/dev,/etc,/sbin,/opt,/root,/usr,/net,/export,/tmp
     doing parameter browseable = yes
     doing parameter protocol = NT1
     doing parameter dead time = 15
     doing parameter follow symlinks = yes
     doing parameter wide links = no
     doing parameter mangle case = no
     doing parameter case sensitive = yes
     doing parameter preserve case = yes
     doing parameter short preserve case = yes
     pm_process() returned Yes
     added interface ip=192.168.1.240 bcast=192.168.1.255
nmask=255.255.255.0
     Old SMB password:
     New SMB password:
     Retype new SMB password:
     Connecting to 127.0.0.1 at port 139
     machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the tconX on the IPC$ share. Error was :
code 0.
     Failed to change password for tester

I then tried using the "smbpasswd" command again using the "-r" flag and
specifying the
virtual server name.   This did not work either.    Following is a portion
of the debug information
that was displayed for the attempt.

     <<< debug information deleted >>>
     Old SMB password:
     New SMB password:
     Retype new SMB password:
     resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name virtual02<0x20>
     Connecting to 192.168.1.240 at port 139
     machine virtual02 rejected the tconX on the IPC$ share. Error was :
code 0.
     Failed to change password for tester

Can you tell me what I need to do, to allow the users that are listed in
the local smbpasswd file
to change their passwords?

Is there any documentation available that provides more detail on setting
up and troubleshooting
the virtual samba server configurations?

Thank you for your assistance.

Michael Ewing
UNIX System Administrator
Berkley Information Services