samba on solaris 2.8 not creating STATUS..LCK file

Daniel_Casey at jbhunt.com Daniel_Casey at jbhunt.com
Fri Dec 15 01:26:59 GMT 2000

Well, I tried to make a connection to /tmp on my
Samba server and log.smb shows:

[2000/12/14 19:22:45, 0] locking/shmem_sysv.c:sysv_shm_open(597)
  ERROR: root did not create the semaphore
[2000/12/14 19:22:45, 0] locking/locking.c:locking_init(174)
  ERROR: Failed to initialise share modes
[2000/12/14 19:22:45, 0] locking/shmem_sysv.c:sysv_shm_open(597)
  ERROR: root did not create the semaphore
[2000/12/14 19:22:45, 0] locking/locking.c:locking_init(174)
  ERROR: Failed to initialise share modes

Here's my definition in smb.conf:

[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /tmp
   read only = no
   public = yes

                    "Robert
                    Dahlem"              To:     "Daniel_Casey at jbhunt.com" <Daniel_Casey at jbhunt.com>,
                    <Robert.Dahle        "samba at us5.samba.org" <samba at us5.samba.org>
                    m at gmx.net>           cc:
                                         Subject:     Re: samba on solaris 2.8 not creating STATUS..LCK file
                    12/14/2000
                    18:46
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "Robert
                    Dahlem"

Daniel,

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000 13:06:18 -0600, Daniel_Casey at jbhunt.com wrote:

>Subject says it all.  If I start Samba with smbd -D
>and look at /usr/local/samba/var/log.smb I get:
>
>[2000/12/14 12:56:38, 1] smbd/files.c:file_init(216)
>  file_init: Information only: requested 10000 open files, 1014 are
>available.
>
>Pretty normal I believe, but if I type smbstatus, I get:
>
>Couldn't open status file /usr/local/samba/var/locks/STATUS..LCK

Pretty normal (and pretty confusing :-). First mount something. Then
retype smbstatus. STATUS..LCK is created with the first mount.

Regards,
        Robert

Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net           Fax +49-69-432647

Sent using PMMail (http://www.pmmail2000.com) - fast, decent, email
software; far better than Outlook. Try it sometime.