Windows 9x problem

Peter.Fredriksson at Skriptor.com Peter.Fredriksson at Skriptor.com
Wed Dec 13 18:01:12 GMT 2000

<snip>

> 	Windows  9x clients can install the antivirus typing, from MS-DOS,
the
> next command:
>
> 	\\Server\avir$\pavfn\rinstall.exe \\Server\avir$\pavfn\pavfn.scr
>
> or with the next commands:
>
> 	net use x: \\Server\avir$
> 	x:\pavfn\rinstall.exe x:\pavfn\pavfn.scr
>
>	I am interested in using the first method to install the antivirus
> periodically in the clients, but with some clients the first method
> doesen't work. The second method works well in all the clients.
>
> 	Do you know where I have the problem?

This Is mainly a Windows / windows programs issue. This is _not_ a samba
problem. You get the same results if you make a similar share on a Windows
server. Some programs can be called with UNC Paths, some can not. There
seems to be a difference if you run the program from Win9x or from NT. But
then, who know the inner mysteries of Windows(tm)? ;-)

My Best Regards,
SKRIPTOR AB

Peter Fredriksson
Systems Administration