Question about NT client and HP-UX server software both accessing the SAME file at the same time on samba share...

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net
Wed Dec 13 07:51:06 GMT 2000

Chris,

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000 15:00:35 -0400, Richardson, Chris (FCS/SFC-AST)
wrote:

>We have software that runs the server side on HP and the client
>attaches to an instance from NT.
>
>Once connection to the server has been made, the client makes a file
>and instructs the server to put information into the file, at the
>same time putting information into the file itself.

Uh oh. This will do no good anyway. You already have "oplocks = no" to
prevent client side caching. Add at least

    strict sync = true
    sync always

on this share. But do not expect it to work safely. There will always
be race conditions ...

>The names of the two files, when viewed from the HP side are the
>same, but one is lower case and one is upper...when
>
>I add the option for case sensitive = yes, there is then only ONE
>file, but the NT machine seems to not be able to find "its" file (the
>lower case one) now and the app thrashs.

Delete one of the files. Configure:

    case sensitive = no
    default case = lower
    preserve case = no
    short preserve case = no

for the share you have that file on. This will effectively prevent
misunderstandings about the case between windows and Samba.

Regards,
        Robert

Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net           Fax +49-69-432647

Sent using PMMail (http://www.pmmail2000.com) - fast, decent, email
software; far better than Outlook. Try it sometime.