Remount question.

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Sat Dec 9 16:42:00 GMT 2000

On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Jaime A Fournier wrote:

> The problem is that the end user on linux is launching many programs from
> the smb mount space.
> When the mount times out, the user is forced to kill the apps with a lock
> on the mount, umount the directory, and then remount with smbmount.

When smbfs detects that there is something wrong with the connection to
the server (for example that the server has disconnected) it is supposed
to reconnect. I can't say that I know that running programs from smbfs
when it reconnects works, but I think it should ...

When the server drops the connection you should get a message from the
kernel (syslog, dmesg) saying that it did something. The exact message may
vary but something like this:
        smb_trans2_request: result=-9, setting invalid
        smb_retry: new pid=6783, generation=157

What samba version and linux kernel version are you using? Some versions
have known problems with reconnecting, you should be using 2.0.7 and
2.2.18-pre25. If you get "smb_retry: caught signal" messages then you are
using a bad version.

> What we are looking for is either to emulate windows behavior to
> reauthenticate/remount occasionally, or just have it so that we can do a
> remount, without killing the applications running from that space.
> Hopefully to have little impact once the mount is back up.

It would certainly be possible to add an ioctl or something to be able to
force a reconnect from some userspace program. But again, this should
happen automatically.

/Urban