Windows 98 + domain logons

Svein Roar Nilsen svein-roar.nilsen at statkart.no
Mon Dec 4 09:48:04 GMT 2000

> What log level should I use? If Samba should happen to do a DNS lookup, I
> would *really* want to catch it. ;)

GOTCHA!

Just a small summary of my setup:

Samba server: Samba 2.0.7 on RedHat 7.0
Client machines: Windows 98

smb.conf:
[...]
 name resolve order = wins bcast
[...]

Problem: Can be very difficult to log on. The users often have to log on
multiple times, and sometimes it is impossible to log on for several hours. Once
logged on, there are no problems whatsoever.

Findings: Samba does reverse DNS lookups!! I set up named to log any DNS
queries, and every time a user tries to log on, at the very moment he hits enter
after writing the password, named logs the event

XX+/192.168.1.1/20.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa/PTR/IN

where 192.168.1.1 is the samba server and 192.168.1.20 is the machine trying to
log on.

As far as I can see, there is absolutely no reason it should do this. The PC is
registered all right in the WINS database, and Samba should look it up there and
not try the DNS. And even if it were not registered, it should then try the
bcast and then give up.

I think there are 3 possibilities:

1. The reverse lookup succeeds: The user has no problems logging on.
2. The reverse lookup fails: The user still has no prolems logging on.
3. The reverse lookup takes longer than 10 seconds: Windows 98 or
   Samba times out and the logon is aborted.

So as far as I can see, this is a bug. It is severe. And it bites many people. I
think this one alone is enough to justify a release 2.0.8...

For my own part, I will take the time to proberly set up a reverse zone for our
private network, even though we don't need it. And then the problem should be
solved for my part. And thanks to all the people pointing me in the direction of
the reverse DNS zone! :)

Svein Roar Nilsen