SAMBA and Subnet Browsing

Enrico Payne enricop at pharma.co.za
Wed Aug 16 10:17:00 GMT 2000

Hi, I have 3 Samba servers run Samba 2.0.7 on RH6.2, with Kernel 2.2.16-3.

Everything seems to be OK, except that my Win9x clients cannot see other
Win9x clients across the subnets.

Each server has 2 n/w cards installed, with IP Forwading enabled etc. If the
user knows the machine name, he can get access to the shared resources
across all 3 subnets, but using the n/w neighbourhood browser, shows only
those users on the same subnet. The Win9x clients are all set to point to
the same primary WINS server, and the secondary WINS server is set to the
server that they login to. Each of the SAMBA servers has "OS Level =" >=60,
to ensure that the NT servers on the network do not become controllers.

All the Win9x clients are setup to use the same Workgroup, while the servers
are on a separate Workgroup. If this is the problem, how do I resolve this,
without changing the workgroups on each client or the servers?

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards
Enrico Payne
mailto:enricop at pharma.co.za

Below is a copy of the Global section of my smb.conf file for the main
(WINS) server...

<----SNIP---->
[global]
workgroup = JBPN
netbios name = JBPN1
server string = Samba Server 2.0.7-4
security = DOMAIN
encrypt passwords = Yes
password server = jbpn1 jbpn4 jbpn6 jbpn3 jbpn7
username map = /etc/smb.username.map
restrict anonymous = Yes
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 50
name resolve order = host wins bcast
load printers = No
logon script = start.bat
logon path = \\jbpn1\home\profiles\%u
domain logons = Yes
os level = 65
preferred master = Yes
domain master = Yes
dns proxy = No
wins support = Yes
admin users = enricop ryanh
<--- END SNIP---->

The following is the global section for one of the other servers.

<---SNIP--->
[global]
workgroup = JBPN
netbios name = JBPN4
server string = Samba Server 2.0.7-4
security = DOMAIN
encrypt passwords = Yes
password server = jbpn4 jbpn1 jbpn6 jbpn3 jbpn7
username map = /etc/smb.username.map
restrict anonymous = Yes
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 50
name resolve order = host wins bcast
load printers = No
logon script = start.bat
logon path = \\jbpn4\home\profiles\%u
os level = 60
preferred master = Yes
dns proxy = No
wins server = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx            #  JBPN1's ip address is here
<---END SNIP--->