share symlinks

Carsten Rezny carsten.rezny at gmx.de
Mon Apr 24 20:28:07 GMT 2000

I am exporting (sharing) a symlink which points to a directory. There is
currently only one client machine, and it runs NT 4.0 workstation. I am
running Samba 2.0.6 on SuSE 6.4 with kernel 2.2.14.

The client uses the share as a network drive. When I change the symlink
to a different directory while the client is connected, and the client
doesn't look at the share with Windows Explorer, but with some different
application, the client will not notice the change until he issues a
'net view' command or uses the Explorer to look at the share. Without a
'net view' or Explorer, the client is able to access all files under the
'old' link.

I didn't find a way to tell Samba to update the share. I disabled
oplocks, and even tried setting 'change notify timeout' to 1 second. My
only solution is currently to send the smbd child that serves the client
a SIGTERM...

I hope this is not too confused. Does anyone have an idea about this?

Thanks,
Carsten