malformed password entry

Dave Canedo davec at pswtech.com
Thu Apr 13 16:59:18 GMT 2000

I have a Sparc Ultra-2 running Solaris 2.7 and Samba version 2.0.5
Most of the time everything works fine, Win95 & WinNT users connect
to Samba shares and work. Occasionally, users report not being able to
view the Samba server in which case I have them map a drive manually
or do a "find computer". There are times when this does not work. I take
a look at the logs ($SAMBA/var/log.machine_name) and see many entries
containing the following error:

[2000/04/06 15:12:18, 0] passdb/smbpass.c:getsmbfilepwent(164)
  getsmbfilepwent: malformed password entry (no :)

By the time I walk over to the users workstation, the problem resolves
itself. I have the smb.conf file pointing to our PDC for password
authentication:

  encrypt passwords = yes
  password server = 198.3.200.36

Can someone help?