Win2k Browse Problem

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Wed Apr 12 21:50:25 GMT 2000

[hmmm, nobody seems to have answered this yet...]

[Richard Hogue]
> I have a Debian 2.1 system running Samba 2.0.4 which works fine with
> Win95/98/NT4.0 but does not show the samba shares when the client is
> Win2k.  You can mount the share OK even though it has a little red
> tail in the Windows Explorer, just can't browse to mount it.

There are quite a few known "issues" with Samba 2.0.x and Windows 2000.
I believe all known bugs (some Samba bugs, some Win2k bugs) are dealt
with in 2.0.7, to be released Real Soon Now.  Well -- all the known
issues with file serving, anyway.  Don't even think about using a Samba
2.0.x *domain controller* with Win2k.

Meanwhile, Debian 2.2 (also to be released Real Soon Now) includes
Samba 2.0.6, which fixes *most* of these issues.  Debian unstable
("woody") is also on 2.0.6, though I assume Eloy will package 2.0.7
soon after it comes out.

Try these two files:

  http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/binary-i386/net/samba_2.0.6-5.deb
  http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/binary-i386/net/samba-common_2.0.6-5.deb