File Close slow on heavy load !!

Oommen Thomas oommen at imagine.co.in
Thu Sep 23 10:06:38 GMT 1999

Hi folks,

We have tested SAMBA against Netware and found the performance better in
all parameters including File Creation/Open/Close, although the creation
speed was almost the same (is there any reason?).

But the other day we did some stress test on an application with SAMBA
(under Linux) as the fileserver. This will create a large number of files
(about 10000), all of these files going to reside in the same directory.
We find that the linux response is rather slow. File closing seems to take
a long time.

>From the log, it appears that the file creating and saving don't seem to take
any significant amount of time, but file close seems to really kill the
performance.

As we found SAMBA to excel others, we have been using it as the sole
Fileserver platform and the above problem has surprised us...

We use samba-2.0.2-19990209 under RHL 5.2 and have the following in
smb.conf

-
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_THROUGHPUT SO_RCVBUF=4096 SO_SNDBUF=4096
read prediction = yes
-

Do we need to give some additional tuning parameters?

TIA

-
Oommen