Printing to samba server doesn't work

Matthew Vanecek mev0003 at unt.edu
Wed Sep 22 15:44:56 GMT 1999

Well, not like it should.  I can capture a printer with the "net use
lpt1:" command, but I would really like to be able to print to any one
of the three printers in my printcap.

NT gives me the error: "The parameter is incorrect".  I attached the
error message screen below, in .png format.

This worked for the last printer I had.  All I changed was the printer
and the printcap, via RH 6.0 printtool.  The printers show up fine in
Network Neighborhood, and I installed the printer drivers on NT.  When I
double-click on any of the 3 printers in NN, it opens the printer spool
window.  But when I try to print a test page, I get the parameter error.

I running NT 4.0 WS SP 5, Linux, RH 6.0 w/kernel 2.2.12, and samba
2.0.5a. The printer is an Epson Stylus Color 740.  Any help would be
appreciated.

In smb.conf I have:
Under [global] I have:
printing = bsd
printcap name = /etc/printcap
load printers = yes

my printers section:
;*******************section printers*****************
[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
browseable = True
printable = yes
public = True
writable = no
create mode = 0700

My /etc/printcap:

##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL TEXT NAxNA letter {} TextPrinter Default {}
lptext:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lptext:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lptext/filter:
##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL uniprint NAxNA letter {} U_EpsonStylusColor
stc740pl {}
lp360:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp360:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp360/filter:
##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL uniprint NAxNA letter {} U_EpsonStylusColor stc740p
{}
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp720:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp720/filter:
##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL uniprint NAxNA letter {} U_EpsonStylusColor
stc740ih {}
lp1440:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp1440:\
        :mx#0:\