Cannot browse in the same workgroup!

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Sep 22 13:54:26 GMT 1999

Start by seeing if you can browse from Linux. Do this

smbclient -NL servername

If shares show up there, you know they're browseable and you've probably
got a Windows Explorer problem.. If not, you probably have a basic smb.conf
problem.

If you see the shares with smbclient, try to force a browser election from
win9x client with this:

net view /workgroup:workgroupname

Or if it's an NT client,

net view /domain:workgroupname

30 seconds after doing that, your Linux server might win the browser
election and you might find Explorer showing your shares.

Steve Litt