How do I force a browser election?

John J. LeMay Jr. jlemay at njmc.com
Fri Sep 17 20:01:39 GMT 1999

With the help of the resource kit util "browstat" (browstst.exe) like so:

browstat elect <transport> <domain>

"Transport" is normally NetBT for NetBIOS over TCP/IP. To determine your
transport use:

net config rdr

Transport is displayed on line marked "Workstation active on" and in the
format:

Transport_NIC (mac address of adapter)

on my station this looks like:

Workstation active on                NetBT_CpqNF31 (00805FBED7A4)

Where the transport is NetBT, the nic is CpqNF31, and my mac address is
displayed in parantheses. (sp?)

Hope this helps!

John J. LeMay Jr.
NJMC LLC.