How do people cycle/archive logfiles?

Robert Franklin r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk
Thu Sep 16 11:33:35 GMT 1999

Hi,

I'm just wondering how other people cycle and archive their Samba
logfiles.  We're running 2.0.5a which I understand has a bug which causes
the logfiles not to be closed/reopened (after cycling the names to .old).

Currently, I've got a 'max log size' and I check every so often to see if
any .old files have appeared, rename to include the date/time and zip up
into an archive directory.

That is a bit annoying because:

  - I have to check every few minutes for .old files

  - the intervals between archived files is dependant on logfile size
    (which is not actually so bad, really, I suppose)

  - if there is a lot of log activity, we run the risk of a .old file
    being overwritten because it is not archived quick enough

We generally log by day on other services.

I was wondering what other people do to get some ideas...

(I understand the HUP log cycling bug has been fixed and I'll be able to
HUP smbd each night for daily logs.)

  - Bob

--
 Bob Franklin <r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk>     Tel. +44 (0)118 931 8432
 Systems and Communications, IT Services, The University of Reading, UK