Samba on Solaris 2.5.1?

Frank R. Brown list.Frank at MailAndNews.com
Fri Oct 29 11:25:02 GMT 1999

Urban -

Thanks for the information.

It's very encouraging to hear that someone has it working
(and I would have been very surprised if no one did...).

Could you give me some more details about the installation
you have working?  What version of samba are you using?
Where did you get the binary?  Did you compile it yourself?
Any issues?  What kind of stuff are you doing in your smb.conf
file?

Let me give you some more detail about what I'm doing.  I started
by downloading a pre-compiled version of samba for solaris 2.6.
I'm pretty sure that it came set up as a solaris 'package'.
It worked from day one.  (Actually, I never got browsing working
properly --- i.e., the samba servers aren't reliably browseable ---
but I didn't try very hard, because I don't care.)

We use nt-encrypted passwords, and have been using
smbpasswd to add existing unix-side username/password
pairs into samba's nt password file.  We use 'hosts deny all',
'hosts allow abc.def.0.0' to add that extra layer of access
control to our system.  I'm working with one of our unix
sa's to get this going.  He's really quite good, but new to
samba.

We now need to run samba on a couple of solaris 2.5.1 machines.

Our sa found a 2.5.1 pre-compiled binary.  He also found a readme
file that said the 2.6 binary would *not* work, so I don't think we
ever tried it.  We tried it several times on more than one machine,
and played around quite a bit.

There are rumors in our organization that someone had samba
working for a day or two on solaris 2.5.1, but then it stopped
working, never to work again, and that those guys then switched
over to pc-nfs, or such.

Our basic problem now is that smbpasswd hang indefinitely,
and attempts to get around this by copying a password file
from a working 2.6 installation cause attempts to connect
to fail with unfamiliar errors.

I'm a little foggy on the details, since the bulk of our attempts
were some time ago.

I will go ahead and repeat the samba diagnostic procedure
(taking notes) and report back anything noteworthy.  In the
meantime, any info about your working installation and how
you got it configured would be very much appreciated.

Urban Widmark <urban at svenskatest.se> wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Oct 1999, Frank R. Brown wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have Samba working on Solaris 2.5.1?
>
> Yes.
>
> > I have Samba 2.0.0 running successfully on Solaris 2.6,
> > but have failed in repeated attempts to get Samba running
> > on Solaris 2.5.1.  Basic symptom:  I can get the daemon
> > running, but can't connect to any shares, *and* can't use
> > smbpasswd to 'add' new user id's (smbpasswd just hangs).
> >
> > Any advice?
>
> Try something more recent than 2.0.0? Not that I know of any bugs in
> 2.0.0 (but if that version was perfect why release anything after it :)
>
> What do you connect from? If NT4SP3+ you need encrypted passwords or tell
> the NT to use unencrypted. Well, you are of course using smbclient to test
> from localhost, so that can't be it.
>
> I believe someone mentioned some problems with copying one installation
> from one machine to another. Something to do with the SHARE_MEM_FILE in
> /usr/local/samba/var/locks/  ?
>
> Are you trying to run a 2.6 binary on the 2.5.1? Don't know if/why that
> would cause problems but I guess it could ...
>

> Sorry, that's the best my tired brain is capable of right now.
>
> /Urban

     Frank R.Brown
     Frank.R.Brown at MailAndNews