NIS+ support in samba-2.0.5a

Daniel Grandjean Daniel.Grandjean at epfl.ch
Tue Oct 26 11:34:15 GMT 1999

Hi Toby,

> I'm a little confused over what exactly the NISPLUS and NISPLUS_HOME
> support options actually mean.  I'm hoping somebody can shed a little
> light on this.
>
> Our main samba server is a Solaris 2.7 machine (using NIS+ for
> passwords, etc, etc.) running samba 2.0.5a.  I have recently been
> investigating a problem where, after a reboot of the server, various
> 3rd party products (POP, IMAP, CAP, SAMBA) are unable to authenticate
> a user until that user has telnetted in to the server.

We also run in this problem.
The application does not a 'keylogin' (getpublickey, getsecretkey,
key_setsecret, ...)

Solaris telnet does it, latest version wuftd also.

For the qulacomm pop server, recompile with the SECURENISPLUS option.
(this is also an exemple of what sould be changed in the code)

I've not run in this problem with SAMBA, but our samba production server
does not run Solaris 2.7 yet.

> Anyway, that is just a little background.  I wanted to find out
> exactly what decisions the configure script had made when I installed
> samba, so thought the easiest way to find this out was to run it again
> (this information doesn't seem to be easily found in the files that
> configure leaves behind.)  Doing this, I discovered:
>
> checking whether to use NISPLUS password database... no
> checking whether to use NISPLUS_HOME... no

My understanding is that
NISPLUS password database is using a nisplus table for
the NT/LANMan ENCRYPTED passwd instead of the samba/private/smbpasswd
file.

This table is created/populated with the scripts
samba-2.0.5a/source/script/mknissmbpasswd.sh
samba-2.0.5a/source/script/mknissmbpwdtbl.sh

> ..which has confused me a little bit.  Surely samba must be using the
> NIS+ password database otherwise it wouldn't be able to authenticate
> any users?
>
> So, I'd be most grateful if anyone could shed some light on these
> compilation options.

Regards.
Daniel.
_
Daniel Grandjean, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology        __  __
Address:     EPFL SI-DGR, CH-1015 Lausanne, Switzerland       |  \/  |
E-mail:      Daniel.Grandjean at epfl.ch                         |o ()o _
Phone:       +41 21 693 27 24   (Central European Time)       |__/\__/
Fax:         +41 21 693 27 27
WWW:         http://dgrwww.epfl.ch                              \__/