How to restart Samba conveniently

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Oct 19 17:58:03 GMT 1999

I just downloaded and installed the source to 2.0.5a, and it worked
perfectly. I really like the fact that everything by default goes under
/usr/local/samba (I just did the ./configure; make; make install).

The one thing I don't see is the start/stop/restart commands like I used to
have in my Red Hat rpm installation:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart

It was a shellscript to read the .pid files, stop, start or stop and start
smbd and nmbd depending on the argument. Is there such a thing included in
2.0.5a compiled from source, and if not, what's the best way for me to
"roll my own".

Thanks

Steve Litt