SAMBA digest 2250 - Parameter is incorrect

Matthew Vanecek mev0003 at unt.edu
Mon Oct 4 15:31:19 GMT 1999

Andrew Patterson wrote:

> > Matthew Vanecek wrote:
> >
> > >NT lets me install the printers via samba, but not print to them.  It
> > >always returns a message that "The parameter is incorrect".  Is there
> > >any way to find out what parameter it's barfing on, and how to fix it?
>
> I think I started encountering the same problem recently.. I'm sure
> I used to be able to print but somewhere along the line something broke it
> (the change to 2.0 maybe).. anyhow, somewhere I saw a post about
> a knowledgebase article regarding printing from NT to windows 95
> machines with a password. Basically it turns out that NT gets confused if
> it needs to prompt for a password when printing which causes the
> "parameter is incorrect" message. The KB article says to try the
> following

If that's the case, is there a way to set it up where NT doesn't need to
prompt for a password?

> net use lpt1 \\sambaserver\printer password /persistent:yes
>
> I tried this and then set up a printer to print on lpt1 and everything
> works fine now.. not an ideal solution but one that might fix your
> problem.

Definitely not an ideal solution, but it works a little.  Are you
supposed to be able to attach more than one printer to lpt1?  Right now
I've got the 720dpi printer attached to it, but many times I just want a
quick printout at 360dpi, and occasionally one at 1440dpi.

--
Matthew Vanecek
Course of Study: http://www.unt.edu/bcis