how to supress header page when printing via samba printer.

Stephen L Arnold sarnold at rain.org
Sat Oct 2 19:08:10 GMT 1999

On 1 Oct 99, at 16:26, Rakesh Jain <rakesh.jain at beasys.com> wrote:

> I have a hp5si printer which is served from samba server. when
> someone prints file to the printer, it prints a header page with
> 3 lines containing Job it, login id etc.. How can I suppress
> this... seems like wastage of paper..

I don't have all the HP model numbers memorized; is it connected
directly to the samba host machine, or is it connected directly to
the network?

If the former, then you can suppress banner pages with a switch in
/etc/printcap (see man printcap).  If the latter, then telnet to
the printer's IP address and disable the banner page there.

Steve