Backing up Linux box to Win box's tape drive

Stephen L Arnold sarnold at coyote.rain.org
Mon May 31 19:48:13 GMT 1999

On 31 May 99, "Stephen Lavelle" <ausvic at mail.austasia.net> had
questions about Backing up Linux box to Win box's tape drive:

> I am using a Samba server on a RedHat 5.2 box this box has no
> tape drive I would like to back up my network clients to a tape
> drive on one of the win boxes;
> Is the following feasible;
> mount the windows shares using smbmount
> tar up the dirs/files
> transfer the tar files onto the win machine
> Back up using the win machines backup programme

There's no reason I can see why it wouldn't work, but

> If not any other suggestions?

It seems like a manually intensive job; why not just move the
tapedrive to the linux box and write yourself a nice shell script
to execute via a cron job?  That way you just mount and run smbtar.

Wouldn't that be a bit more straight-forward?  Besides, linux boxes
should generally own your best hardware (you can do so much more
with it that way...).

Steve