SAMBA 1.9.18p10 performance

Stephen L Arnold sarnold at coyote.rain.org
Sat May 22 04:26:13 GMT 1999

On 22 May 99, Lajtos <ersziker at mail.matav.hu> had questions about
SAMBA 1.9.18p10 performance:

> iv. The main thing:
> I changed from Novell Netware to Samba.The amount of performance
> loss was huge.  Something must be very wrong, because I use
> the same hardware as 'under' Netware.  I paid attention to
> everything about performance in 'man smb.conf' and smb HowTo
> and result is the same, it's unimaginably slow.

> I think there's some problem at the clients' side (I had to
> change to TCP/IP from IPX/SPX), WHAT CAN IT BE?

I assume you removed all the Netware client stuff, protocols, etc
(and don't use NetBlooie either)?  I had originally had a
"performance" problem (of sorts) with that version, and it turned
out to be the RWIN setting on the Win95 clients (the ones who were
optimized for DUN performance).  Have you also looked at the
Speed.txt docs?  In my case, things started working fine when I
dropped RWIN from 8xMSS to 4xMSS (ie, 4288 to 2144), which is the
opposite way across the 3072 byte threshold mentioned in the doc.
Go figure.  Of course, your problem could be completely unrelated...

Steve