samba help needed

Rodney Dorbolo r.dorbolo at cfa.vic.gov.au
Fri May 21 02:38:44 GMT 1999

Dear Samba Gurus,
                        I was hoping someone could help me out with a
problem I have with multiple samba servers authenticating back to one
master unix server ( running Samba version 1.9.18p10).

We have been running samba perfectly o.k when we install samba on a
single unix machine and authenticate off the unix password file from the
same machine. However we are growing in the number of machines running
samba now and we would like multiple machines to run samba but only
authenticate passwords off one of these servers (preferably off the unix
passwd but samba's smbpasswd would be o.k also I guess).

I have looked up the documentation and have implemented the
security=server and password server=<NETBIOS name> in the smb.conf file
but I must be missing something else in the docs as I can't get it to do
what I want.

I can acheive what I want by using NIS to transfer the passwd map to the
other samba servers or even NFS mount the other servers partitions to a
single machine for samba to serve off but these options are not really
desireable.

The servers details are below for your info. We run Solaris 2.6
operating system with Windows 95 workstations.  Our master server (not
NIS master but the machine with all password details on it!) is called
INTRA and we have many servers which have samba on them, one of them of
which is a machine called GIS1 for which we are testing. (Also both
machines can talk to each other fine).  When we click on GIS1
workgroup/shares we want it to authenticate off INTRA's unix password
file through samba. That would be the ideal.

Any help/info/tips/advice (be nice !) would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
                    Rod.

gis1#> smbclient -L gis1
Added interface ip=132.147.190.2 bcast=132.147.255.255 nmask=255.255.0.0

Server time is Fri May 21 12:19:21 1999
Timezone is UTC+10.0
Password:
Domain=[GIS1] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 1.9.18p10]
connected as guest security=user

Server=[GIS1] User=[nobody] Workgroup=[GIS1] Domain=[GIS1]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        home           Disk
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Samba 1.9.18p10)

This machine has a browse list:

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        GIS1                 Samba 1.9.18p10

This machine has a workgroup list:

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        ADMIN                DOCSSVR
        GIS1                 GIS1
        HR                   HR
        INTRA                INTRA
        IT DEPARTMENT        GIS_NT
        RISK MANAGEMENT      GARVEY

gis1#> more /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
[global]
        case sig names = no
        default case = lower
#       guest account = nobody
        lock directory = /var/spool/locks/samba
        mangled names = yes
        printcap name = /etc/printers.conf
        status = yes
        workgroup = GIS1
        log file = /usr/local/samba/log/log.%m
        debuglevel = 2
        lpq cache time = 60
        os level = 33
        hide dot files = no
        security = server
        password server = intra
        name resolve order = host lmhosts wins bcast

[printers]
        path = /var/tmp
        writable = no
        browseable = no
        public = yes
        printable = yes

[homes]
        guest ok = no
        writable = yes
        browseable = no

[testhome]
        path = /home
        public = no
        writable = yes
        directory mask = 0775
        force create mode = 0775

intra#> /usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient -L intra
Added interface ip=132.147.199.1 bcast=132.147.255.255 nmask=255.255.0.0

Server time is Fri May 21 12:20:37 1999
Timezone is UTC+10.0
Password:
Domain=[INTRA] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 1.9.18p10]
connected as guest security=user

Server=[INTRA] User=[nobody] Workgroup=[INTRA] Domain=[INTRA]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        engplot        Printer
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Samba 1.9.18p10)
        riskmandir     Printer
        rmshare        Disk

NOTE: There were share names longer than 8 chars.
On older clients these may not be accessible or may give browsing errors

This machine has a browse list:

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        INTRA                Samba 1.9.18p10

This machine has a workgroup list:

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        ADMIN                DOCSSVR
        GIS1                 GIS1
        HR                   HR
        INTRA                INTRA
        IT DEPARTMENT        TESTR
        RISK MANAGEMENT      GARVEY

intra#> more /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
[global]
        case sig names = no
        default case = lower
#       guest account = nobody
        lock directory = /var/spool/locks/samba
        mangled names = yes
        printcap name = /etc/printers.conf
        status = yes
        workgroup = INTRA
        log file = /usr/local/samba/log/log.%m
        debuglevel = 2
        lpq cache time = 60
        os level = 33
        security = user
        netbios name = intra
        name resolve order = host lmhosts wins bcast

[printers]
        path = /var/tmp
        writable = no
        browseable = no